You're going to travel to United States and you don't know if your electric devices (your computer, mobile phone, battery charger...) will be able to work there?
To know if you need a travel plug adapter to go to United States, you have to consider 3 things : the shape of the plugs, the voltage and the frequency of the current delivered by electrical outlets in United States.
Here are the shape of the sockets in United States, and the the types of plugs used in United States :
If none of your usual plug is compatible, you should buy a travel adapter to be able to plug your electric devices in United States (please visit our selection on Amazon for more details).
In the United States, the type of electrical outlets commonly used is the NEMA 5-15 socket, also known as a three-pronged grounded outlet. The standard voltage for residential buildings is 120 volts, and the current is typically either 15 or 20 amps.
Charging the battery of your phone or computer in the United States is a simple process. Here are the two main methods you can use:
1. Using a Power Outlet:
- Locate a power outlet in the United States that matches the plug on your charger. The standard power voltage in the U.S. is 120 volts.
- Connect your phone or computer charger to the power outlet.
- Plug the other end of the charger into your phone or computer's charging port.
- Your device will start charging automatically. Typically, you'll see a charging indicator on the screen or a LED light on the device itself.
2. Using a USB Port:
- Find a USB port on a computer, laptop, or other electronic devices in the United States.
- Connect the USB cable that came with your phone or computer to the USB port.
- Plug the other end of the USB cable into your device's charging port.
- Your device will begin charging. Ensure the connected computer or device is turned on for this method to work.
Remember to unplug your device once it's fully charged to avoid overcharging and excessive battery usage.
If you are planning to buy a power adapter for use in the United States, you will need to ensure it is compatible with the US electrical system. The United States uses a 120-volt electrical system along with a Type A or Type B power outlet.
Type A outlets have two flat parallel pins, while Type B outlets have two flat parallel pins along with a grounding pin. So, it is recommended to get a power adapter that supports both Type A and Type B sockets.
Additionally, it is important to check the voltage range supported by the power adapter. Most electronic devices nowadays support a wide voltage range (usually 100-240V), so a universal adapter should work fine. However, for devices that do not have a built-in voltage converter, you may need a voltage converter to handle the 120 volts used in the United States.
In summary, look for a power adapter that:
Make sure to double-check the specifications of your devices and the power adapter before making a purchase to ensure compatibility.
Here is a list of the 20 largest cities in the United States: