en français in english auf Deutsch en español in italiano
choose another country

travel adapters :

best travel adapters for Japan

Japan Japan electrical outlets : do I need a travel adapter?

You're going to travel to Japan and you don't know if your electric devices (your computer, mobile phone, battery charger...) will be able to work there?

To know if you need a travel plug adapter to go to Japan, you have to consider 3 things : the shape of the plugs, the voltage and the frequency of the current delivered by electrical outlets in Japan.

Electrical outlets (sockets) and plugs used in Japan

Here are the shape of the sockets in Japan, and the the types of plugs used in Japan :

electrical outlet socket type A in Japan
type A
electrical outlet socket type B in Japan
type B

plug type a  plug type b  

Plug adapter for Japan

If none of your usual plug is compatible, you should buy a travel adapter to be able to plug your electric devices in Japan (please visit our selection on Amazon for more details).

best travel adapters for japan

Prepare your travel to enjoy your stay in Japan

What is the type of electrical outlets and current in Japan?

The type of electrical outlets commonly used in Japan is Type A and Type B.

Type A outlets feature two flat parallel pins, while Type B outlets have two flat parallel pins along with a grounding pin. Type B outlets are more common in newer buildings in Japan.

The standard voltage in Japan is 100 volts, and the current is 50/60 Hz.

How can I charge the battery of my phone or computer in Japan?

Charging your phone or computer in Japan is fairly straightforward. Here are a few options you can consider:

1. Use a power adapter: Japan has a unique power outlet shape and voltage, so you will need a power adapter that is compatible with Japanese outlets. Purchase a universal adapter that can convert the plug shape and handle the voltage difference.

2. Check the voltage compatibility: Before plugging in your device, ensure that your phone or computer supports the Japanese voltage of 100 volts. Most modern devices are designed to handle a wide range of voltages, but it's always a good idea to double-check the specifications.

3. USB charging: Many hotels, airports, cafes, and public places in Japan provide USB charging ports. You can use a USB cable to connect your device directly to these ports and charge without the need for an adapter. This is especially convenient if you carry a USB cable with you.

4. Portable chargers: Consider carrying a portable charger or power bank with you. These devices store electricity and can be used to charge your phone or computer on the go. Just make sure to charge the power bank when you have access to an outlet.

Remember, it's always essential to prioritize your safety and only use certified charging cables and adapters. Enjoy your stay in Japan!

Which power adapter should I buy for Japan?

When traveling to Japan, it is important to have the right power adapter to charge your devices. Japan generally uses Type A and Type B sockets, so you will need a power adapter that is compatible with these types.

If your electronic devices have two flat pins, you will require a Type A power adapter. Type A has two flat parallel pins, which is the standard socket in Japan.

On the other hand, if your devices have two flat pins with a round grounding pin, you will need a Type B power adapter. Type B sockets are less common in Japan, but they can still be found in some places.

It is recommended to bring a universal power adapter that supports both Type A and Type B sockets. This will ensure that you can charge your electronic devices in most locations throughout Japan.

Furthermore, make sure to check the voltage requirements of your devices. Japan operates on a 100V system, which is lower than in some other countries. If your device is not compatible with 100V, you may need a voltage converter in addition to the power adapter.

Remember to always check the specific power requirements of your devices before purchasing a power adapter to ensure compatibility and safe charging during your time in Japan.

What are the 20 largest cities in Japan?

Here is a list of the 20 largest cities in Japan:

  1. Tokyo
  2. Yokohama
  3. Osaka
  4. Nagoya
  5. Sapporo
  6. Fukuoka
  7. Kobe
  8. Kawasaki
  9. Kyoto
  10. Saitama
  11. Hiroshima
  12. Sendai
  13. Kitakyushu
  14. Chiba
  15. Sakai
  16. Okayama
  17. Kumamoto
  18. Sagamihara
  19. Niigata
  20. Hachioji